Saturday, October 15, 2011

Boy or Girl?



Allow me to share my heart with you. So many people have asked if we are having a boy or a girl. Nataly insists it’s a Baby Scarlett, a sister, but I asked her if she would love a baby brother. She looked me square in the eye and said, “no”. Then she said she would poke him. Nice to know; I better keep an eye on her just in case.

She kisses on my belly and talks to baby “Scarlett”. So as time goes on, it appears Scarlett will be the name for a girl. Nataly loves babies. So I assume she will naturally mother this baby.

If anyone remembers, Macie insisted on a sister with Breesa. Then Breesa, at age 2 & 3, insisted Nataly was a girl and even said, “I told you so” upon meeting her new sister. Now, Nataly is insisting that this is a sister too, only time will tell.

Everyone asks if we want a boy this time. I’ve never understood the internal necessity to have one gender or the other. Excuse my frankness but I’ve never looked at our girls and thought, “if only you were a boy I would feel fulfilled”. We, having all girls, haven’t felt like we are missing anything.

The first time around I thought a boy would be fun because we had so many girls in our family already. Also, because many family members were hoping for a boy.

I quickly warmed up to girls, though. The other day I watched as Nataly climbed the stairs . She was wearing a bumblebee costume and carrying her stuffed puppy in one hand and broken tea set in the other. She was headed to the kitchen for a tea party while daddy cooked dinner. I thought it really doesn’t get any better.

If we have a boy, I’m sure I will find the joys of it just as fulfilling. But for now, we allow our girls to be girls without the pressure of thinking we wanted something different and thank God for our beautiful, precious children regardless of their gender.

No comments: