Thursday, January 15, 2009

Health in 2009

We started a journey for better health in 2008 but we are continuing to make things better. I am of PROUD of my husband who didn't have ONE SINGLE DROP OF SODA last year!! He gave it up for better health and hasn't touched it since. Yeah for him...I still get it from time to time when we got out to eat. This year he gave up fast food, debbie cakes, and pretty much ALL junk food unless it's homemade.

With him making such big decisions, it sort of affects us all. We have been eating at home a lot more. And consequently I have been cooking a lot more. I have been making soups, stews, and casseroles in the crock pot. I made some oatmeal raisin scones and malt-o-meal muffins. I also made homemade salad dressing which went over well. Salads are a big staple now a days. I mix up whatever greens are on sale but preferably spinach and romaine. I add some red cabbage, cucumbers, green peppers, carrots, and whatever else is on sale. Breesa and I also made homemade croutons...the hardest part is not eating them all.

I am still experimenting with breads. I found a potato bread that is so good but a lot of work! Another change I made was coking brown rice a lot. I add it to most meals because of it's nutritional value, it's filling, and cheap. All in all our new ways of eating are great.

No comments: