Monday, August 4, 2008

A Bittersweet Goodbye


Another chapter in the book of my life is closing. This was my last weekend in the Missouri Air National Guard. I served eight years between activie duty and the National Guard. I think it's a bittersweet good bye. On one hand it is something I have been a part of for 8 years...my entire adult life. On the other hand, there are so many other pursuits in my life. I feel like I am at an exciting point in my life. I can do many things from this point on.

I traveled many places because of the military. I lived in Tokyo, Japan for almost three years. I visited Okinawa, Guam, Hawaii, 20+ states. I earned an Associates degree in Logistics/Transportation. I am due to complete my Bachelors in Psychology in May. The Air Force paid all but seven classes of my degree...that's one big "scholarship". I wouldn't have gotten a degree if it hadn't been for the Air Force. I am excited to achieve that.

The Air Force provided me with many opportunities to succeed. I found the love of my life in the military. We have been married now for 6 years. Being a soldier brings many burdens into a family as well as the soldier. Having two soldiers in one family is a difficult task. While he continues his career in the Guard, I am going to serve my country by supporting my husband.

No comments: